We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.

Preston Royal Visits

Preston Royal Visits
Preston Royal Visits
Royal Visits to Preston 1885 and 1913
Prince of Wales 1885

HRH Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, paid a two day visit to Preston on the 16th and 17th July 1885. During his visit he attended the annual meeting of the Royal Agricultural Society of England, which was held on Moor Park, and attended a gathering of cotton operatives in the Public Hall, where he was presented with specimens of cloth manufactured in the town.
On the 17th July he laid the foundation stone of the Albert Edward Dock, having first attended a lunch in the Town Hall with the Mayor, Alderman John Forshaw. He was escorted by the 4th Dragoon Guards to Strand Road, where he boarded a special train which conveyed him to the dock. He was received by the Chairman of the Ribble Committee, Alderman William Gilbertson, and the Engineer, Edward Garlick, and then laid the foundation stone, which is situated in the dock wall of the north west cross berth.
This album of photographs by Alfred Beattie, whilst including few of the Prince himself, shows the preparations made for the royal visit, including the triumphal arches erected in Fishergate, Friargate, Church Street and Lancaster Road, and contains portraits of the mayor and town officials

George V and Queen Mary 1913

On Tuesday, 8th July 1913, King George V and Queen Mary visited Preston. They drove to the Town Hall, where the Earl of Derby presented the Mayor and Mayoress, Mr. and Mrs. William J. Hayhurst. A large crowd had gathered in the Market Place, the Band of the 4th Battalion Loyal North Lancashire Regiment played and 800 elementary school children sang a song entitled "Queen Mary".
After lunch at the Bull and Royal Hotel, the King and Queen visited Horrockses, Crewdson and Company's mill on Stanley Street. They ended their visit by driving to Moor Park Avenue, where 20,000 school children were waiting to welcome them. The royal party then left for Kirkham, Lytham, St Annes and Blackpool.
Added to these collections