Penny's Hospital, Lancaster

Penny's Hospital, Lancaster
Penny's Hospital, Lancaster
Penny's Hospital, Lancaster
238161
NLA20120309007
Penny's Hospital, Lancaster
Lancaster
Penny's Hospital was founded through the bequest of William Penny and was erected in 1718-22. Penny provided twelve apartments with 'garden plats, or places for herbs and roots'. In 1929-30, C.B.Pearson demolished the two houses nearest the street and moved the gateway and walls back to make room for the pavement. The gateway has Tuscan pilasters framing the arched entrance, an inscription in the gable, and ball finials.The single-storey houses have quoined entrances and mullioned and transomed windows. The West end of the courtyard is closed by a tiny Chapel with a bellcote. Over the door is a tablet inscribed ' Forget not the congregation of thy poor'.
Photographic print
Sepia
16.72 x 12.02
This item includes these files