The Lord Nelson Hotel, 2 Manchester Road

The Lord Nelson Hotel, 2 Manchester Road
The Lord Nelson Hotel, 2 Manchester Road
The Lord Nelson Hotel, 2 Manchester Road
iBase ID
226998
Reference identifier
ENE180820081061
Title
The Lord Nelson Hotel, 2 Manchester Road
Place
Nelson
General notes
In 1805 the owner of Hibson Farm, Mathew Pollard, built the Lord Nelson Inn around the junction of the Turnpike Roads.
In 1849 the railway station opened at Hibson. It was naned 'Nelson for Barrowford', after the Inn.
Over the next twenty years over 2,000 terraced houses and many cotton mills would come to surround the Inn.
In 1864, a local board was formed and given the name Nelson.
This original building was demolished in 1895 and to mark the new town's wealth the more impressive Lord Nelson Hotel was constructed to replace the old building.
After the second world war, it enjoyed its boom time, with people from all walks of life pouring in. Its restaurant was known for its quality and a wedding reception at the hotel was seen as very prestigious.
There was also a cocktail bar on the first floor.
The hotel renting its last room in 1984.
In 1988, the Lord Nelson was renovated and much of the character was removed, including the old staircase and the Victorian Bar.
Medium
Photographic print
Colour
Monochrome
Original image size
11.5/ 7.9cm
Year of image
C1912
Enter year in yyyy format
Locator
M851 Nelson Inn/2
This item includes these files