Westgate Congregational Chapel, Burnley

Westgate Congregational Chapel, Burnley
Westgate Congregational Chapel, Burnley
Westgate Congregational Chapel, Burnley
iBase ID
314962
Reference identifier
EBU-U01-J41-90-3
Title
Westgate Congregational Chapel, Burnley
Place
Burnley
General notes
Westgate Congregational Chapel was founded in 1859. The Chapel opened in July 1861. It closed in 1972.

On its opening it was reported that;
"The opening services in connexion with Westgate Chapel, being the third in the Congregational interest in Burnley, were concluded on Sunday, the 11th inst. The entire cost of the whole of the buildings, including schools, fittings, organ, and all charges, is about £5,500, of which about £4,000 has been raised. The chapel is of superior design, and the interior is especially remarkable for its novelty and chaste elegance. The style of the building throughout is Lombardic in general treatment. The exterior is massive and elegant. The accommodation is for about 900 adults and 100 children. All the walls are built of stone from Catlow quarry. The architects are Messrs Paul and Ayliffe, of Burnley." [Building News 23 August 1861 page 700]

A further description states that;
"This building, which has recently been opened, comprises chapel, schoolroom, lecture-room, vestry, infant classroom, four classrooms for senior scholars, library, and other apartments. The ground plan represents the letter L reversed, the vertical line representing the chapel, the end of which fronts the Blackburn-road. The site a very eligible plot of land, possessing approaches in front and rear and on the west side, and stands about ten feet above the road level. The front of the chapel is set back about twenty-five feet from the road boundary, and the space is occupied by handsome double flight of stone steps and balustrade and upper terrace or platform twelve feet wide. For the convenience of aged persons an inclined plane with easy gradient is formed parallel with the chapel and on the east side, by which the ascending steps may be avoided. Here are three entrance doorways in the front of the chapel, and spacious lobbies and vestibules, each having two sets of folding-doors, exclusive of the outer doors. Two stone staircases lead the galleries, which occupy the end and two sides of the building. In the rear is a semi-circular recess for the organ 14 feet deep, and this is spanned semi-circular arch 20 feet wide and 30 feet high. The level of the organ-gallery is 3 feet 6 inches below the lowest platform of the galleries, and the effect of this arrangement excellent both in appearance and for sound. The front of the organ-gallery projects 3 feet into the chapel, and in front of this is the pulpit, the floor of which is 5 feet 9 inches above the ground floor. The dimensions of the chapel are as follow: Length internally, exclusive of organ-recess, 77 feet 9 inches; length, inclusive of ditto. 91 feet 9 inches; width, 50 feet; height from floor to wall-plate of roof, 29 feet; height from floor to centre ceiling, 39 feet. Generally, the effect of the interior is pleasing in the extreme. The style of the building throughout Lombardic in general treatment; but the aim of the architects has been to give the structure an essentially characteristic appearance rather than adhere strictly to any style. The proportions and details throughout are good, and the exterior is both massive and elegant. The schoolroom is connected with the chapel, and the floor is nearly level with the chapel gallery. Its dimensions internally are 60 feet by 30 feet, and 24 feet from floor to ridge of roof, which is open-framed and plastered Deal boarding, 4 feet high, is placed round the walls and closets, and other recesses are provided, as well as a room to be used as a library. Underneath the schoolroom are a lecture-room, 30 feet by 24 feet, an infants’ classroom, with gallery for 130 children, and three classrooms, for twenty-five scholars each. Two good stone staircases are provided for boys and girls respectively at each end of the schoolroom. The walls of the building are of stone throughout, obtained from Catlow Quarry, six miles distant, and the roofs are covered with Welsh slate arranged in layers of red and blue. The total cost of the undertaking, exclusive of the land, which is the munificent gift of L. Massey, Esq., will about £5,500. This sum includes for organ, now being made. The architects to whom this work was intrusted are Mr. H. J. Pauli, of Burnley, late of Cardiff, and his partner, Mr. Oliver Ayliffe." [Illustrated Times 5 October 1861 page 14]

A donation for the construction of the building was given by Lord Massey of Massey's Brewery.

This image was digitised and made available online by volunteers as part of the Keeping East Lancashire in the Picture project. If you want to tell us anything about it, or share it more widely, please use the Comment and Share buttons above. We make historic images from our collections freely available online for people to enjoy and use in personal research. We are also committed to protecting people's privacy and complying with copyright legislation.

• When most historic photographs of people were taken, consent to publish online was not explicitly granted by them.

• The copyright status of photographs is often hard to establish, particularly when the photographer is not known and there is uncertainty about when the photograph was taken.

If you have concerns about this image being published online, please contact us via the Enquire button above
Medium
Postcard
Colour
Monochrome
Year of image
Early 20th Century
Enter year in yyyy format
Subjects
This item includes these files