Skip to content
Red Rose Collections
Log in
Register
Subject matches "The Sky" or its children
Item
of 25
Edit item
Share
Comment
Enquire
Greg Observatory, Williamson Park, Lancaster
This item is active and ready to use
Greg Observatory, Williamson Park, Lancaster
Greg Observatory, Williamson Park, Lancaster
File details
iBase ID
234204
Reference identifier
NLA07042009001
Title
Greg Observatory, Williamson Park, Lancaster
Place
Lancaster
Personal names
Albert Greg
General notes
The main telescope at the observatory, which was a 7.5 inch equatorially-mounted Cooke refractor.
The observatory was built by the Corporation for the preservation and use of astronomical instruments presented by Albert Greg of Escowbeck. It was opened by the Astronomer Royal of Scotland, Dr Ralph Copeland FRSE FRAS on 29th July 1892. The observatory was demolished around 1960, it's foundations can still be seen at the Park.
For more information see 'Lancaster's Lost Observatory' by Peter Wade in the Journal of British Astronomical Association 102(3) for 1992. Available online at the SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System on the Harvard University website.
Year of image
unknown
Enter year in yyyy format
Mario Map link
MARIO Map
Web link
Lancaster's Lost Observatory by Peter Wade
Original file details
Description
Keywords
Subjects
ENVIRONMENT
>
The Sky
Place Names
>
Lancaster
PLACES
>
Parks
This item includes these files
Image
Collections with this item
Other items like this
Williamson Park, Lancaster
Clear all
Search within
By field
By subject
By Label
By folder / collection
By your searches
Export
Collection
TOOLBAR:Lightbox
Edit
Workflow