Skip to content
Red Rose Collections
Log in
Register
Subject matches "Morecambe and Heysham" or its children
Item
of 114
Edit item
Share
Comment
Enquire
Stone Jetty and North Western Hotel, Morecambe
This item is active and ready to use
Stone Jetty and North Western Hotel, Morecambe
Stone Jetty and North Western Hotel, Morecambe
File details
iBase ID
232759
Reference identifier
NMO20110228016
Title
Stone Jetty and North Western Hotel, Morecambe
Place
Morecambe
General notes
This image shows the south side of the Stone Jetty which enclosed on side of Morecambe Harbour. At the end of the jetty was a lighthouse, and a railway station- trains ran through Northumberland Street Station right out onto the jetty to connect with the Irish Steamers. This ceased with the opening of Heysham Harbour in 1904, and the replacement of Northumberland Street station with the Promenade Station in 1907. This side of the jetty was always used by the public however, even when, after closure of the harbour, the jetty was used by T. W. Ward for shipbreaking.
The hotel was built by the North Western Railway (usually known as the "Little" North Western top distinguish it from it's neighbour, the much larger London and North Western Railway) and was taken over with that company by the Midland Railway in 1871 at which point it's name was changed. It would have been the Midland Hotel by the time this picture was taken, but that name is also associated with the far more famous building that replaces the one shown here in which opened in 1933.
To its right is the laundry, owned by the railway company and on their premises, while behind is an open hill known as Sloethorne Wood, which was used to graze cattle arriving or departing on the steamers- there was an underpass allowing access to this without crossing the road. Just behind this can be seen the houses at the end of Highfield Crescent. This land was later occupied by the Pleasure Beach.
The hotel was designed by a local architect, E. G. Paley (who designed St Peter's Cathedral in Lancaster) and opened in 1848, and was closed in 1932.
Mr Eastwood had a Chemist shop in Lancaster, and took a selection of images around Morecambe on glass plates around the turn of the 20th century.
Medium
Glass slide, negative
Colour
Monochrome
Original image size
16.5x11.5
Year of image
c1900
Enter year in yyyy format
Locator
Glass Plates
Mario Map link
MARIO Map
Original file details
Description
Keywords
Subjects
Place Names
>
Bare
Place Names
>
Morecambe and Heysham
PLACES
>
Coast
This item includes these files
Image
Collections with this item
Other items like this
Eastwood Collection
Clear all
Search within
By field
By subject
By Label
By folder / collection
By your searches
Export
Collection
TOOLBAR:Lightbox
Edit
Workflow